Re: Support for hibernation 2/2: questions

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 4:12 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Continued from the 'background and summary' email:
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/desktop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/message/V5MOCX23KU45J3WXUN6TCGEJYQLXQYUL/
>
> Adding Hans and Matthew and Lennart to cc.
>
> Questions I have are:
>
> - WG is considering dropping creation of swap partitions by default,
> in favor of swap-on-ZRAM. Any concerns? (We do know it's not possible
> to use a ZRAM device for hibernation, but the kernel will look to
> another swap device for contiguous free space to write out a
> hibernation image.)
>
> - What's the status of s2idle in the kernel?
>
> - What sort of work is needed outside the kernel to properly support
> s2idle, or is this predominantly kernel work? Microsoft documents on
> Modern Standby suggest minimal application effort. [1]

A lot of the functionality is implemented in a non standard extension
to ACPI called PEP:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/using-peps-for-acpi-services

> - Prospect of kernel support to separate swap and hibernation
> partitions (and/or swap files)? Or systemd method of creating then
> activating swapfiles on demand?
>
> - Prospect of hibernation supported with UEFI Secure Boot?
>
> - Is hibernation a better fallback than poweroff, given the
> significant reliability differential? Why? Poweroff is universal,
> hibernation isn't. What's the argument that a non-universally
> available fallback is better than the universal fallback?
>
> - What are the implications of hibernation if Fedora will move to
> measured boot? (I'm not sure how mainstream that function is expected
> to be, or it's use case specific opt-in.)

There's still a lot of work to be done there, but at least for IoT
we're looking at least being able to opt-in to this soon, I suspect it
will be quite a bit more work for something like workstation.

> - There's some anecdotal evidence users are disabling UEFI Secure
> Boot, possibly quite a lot [2]. Does there need to be an effort at
> making the signing of user built kernel and module easier? Can it be
> made easier? I don't know custom or out of tree modules is a
> significant motive for disabling SB, vs other explanations.

I don't think we have a break down between distros there, a lot of
distros such as Debian didn't support it until very recently, distros
like Gentoo and Arch still don't and so there's a lot of docs in those
communities where the first instruction is to disable it.