Re: Support for hibernation 2/2: questions

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 7:55 AM Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I mean insofar as default/automatic partitioning, where the tentative
idea is, no swap partition, and use swap-on-ZRAM instead. But if that
seems dramatic,

Not my decision :-) The only concern I have is e.g. when playing a game, the game might want to allocate as much as possible in order to speed itself up (cached objects, textures, etc), but due to memory compression, it might actually be slower than allocating just a smaller amount of memory (which wouldn't trigger zram usage). And the game of course doesn't know this. But it's hard to judge, for general workflow it's definitely better than swapping to disk.

it's effectively the case already with UEFI Secure
Boot systems - the resume parameter is pointless, these users get a
power off when the battery reaches a low threshold. That's data loss.

Yes, but at least they get notified beforehand. That helps a little.

If we're not going to take hibernation functionality seriously anyway,
I question carving out so much space from people's systems by default.
I have no complaint about custom partitioning making a swap partition
by default at 1:1 ratio or whatever is discovered to be most reliable
without being wasteful, and also setting a resume parameter.

I agree.