Re: Removing GNOME Videos?

----- Original Message -----
> This is a good point. I'd say that these days people watch videos more
> in a browser than in a desktop player and installing anything from
> Flathub is currently not going to help them in any way. Firefox and
> Chromium rely on libavcodec in the system. No matter if Totem is
> included or installed from Flathub, nothing changes for them: Wanna
> play videos? Go and enable that 3rd party repo and install ffmpeg. And
> once that repo is enabled, Software can AFAIK install required
> GStreamer plugins in a few clicks.
>
> I also wonder whether we should continue in our efforts to include as
> many video codecs as legally possible (adding support for H.264
> playback etc.). What would the consumer of it? Totem would be gone and
> browsers use libavcodec.

Firefox can also use OpenH264, so it should be able to play more things
in the future. However, the breadth of codecs a web browser needs
is not the same as the one required for a movie player in any case, so
that still wouldn't quite be enough.

And I'm guessing that for most users, there's no figuring out why Firefox
can't play things, it goes straight to installing a browser that can
play those things, usually Google Chrome.

We ship: Firefox, GNOME Videos
Users probably end up installing (from Google, RPMFusion or somewhere
else): Chrome, VLC