Re: Disable (or make configurable and default to off) suspend-then-hibernate behavior in GNOME-3.30

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 6:47 PM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think it's just as problematic if the system is under memory
pressure without sufficient swap, the kernel invokes OOM killer. My
experience with OOM killer is in the realm of "ok so why don't you
just kill...oh nice there goes sshd...I'm screwed" rather than killing
firefox or chrome. I haven't dug into any of the logic the OOM killer
is using, or whether it's configurable. But yeah top on my list of
things to kill is the web browser because it has a session restore :-)
and tends to be the biggest memory pig on the system by far.

Is that really worse? Thing is, when Fedora Workstation starts swapping, the user loses control of the desktop and the only practical solution is to hold the power button. Hard to imagine losing random processes would be worse than that. (Let's not optimize for sshd; this is Workstation after all.)

We handle swap really, *really* badly. I'm inclined to think that if we want to keep it, this situation needs to dramatically improve to guarantee that desktop interactivity isn't compromised.