Re: GNOME 3.30.0 megaupdate

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018 at 9:01 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

That is a very reasonable response but also doesn't actually answer
the question. The schedules have been misaligned for months, so why
only bring up that misalignment now and characterize it as if it's a
big deal? There is an incongruency happening. It does present the
appearance GNOME expects a persistent and on-going exception for beta
freeze. Is that a fair characterization?

If the schedules themselves do not align and will not ever align and
it's important for .0 version of GNOME to be in the beta, I'd like to
see some way of making that happen that does not involve the roll of
the dice that is freeze exception as applied to something as complex
and massive as *GNOME megaupdate* sounds and is and really only a few
people could possibly properly assess, which isn't how FE works.

Fedora folks have been testing 3.29 for weeks now. Fedora people
haven't been testing 3.30 because it's not really available to test.
So I think it's reasonable for a GNOME specific change to explicitly
state a request and expectation for a beta freeze exception for every
Fedora release so that a .0 lands in the beta, and see if FESCo thinks
that's sane and accepts the change.

But such as it is, the schedule is the schedule, warts and all, and
freeze exception is for bugs. It's not for realigning misaligned
schedules.

> As a sidenote, this tone of discourse is frankly getting old. GNOME aren't
> there to spite you.

Never said that nor implied it. I asked two questions. There's tone in
asking questions?

--
Chris Murphy