Re: Starting an Atomic Workstation SIG

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 5:39 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 8:47 PM, Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>> The devel tools in "dev container" pattern though really works so
>> well IMO there's not *too* much excuse not to do it.  The main
>> sticking point is probably IDE integration.
>

> This really depends on what you're developing.
> I don't see the "dev container" workflow work for a Gtk app... you'd have to
> build it in the container, and then run it outside of the container. It
> sounds to me like this would get confusing really quickly.
> (stuff like "why doesn't this work? oh, I'm in the container still")
> Last time I checked you can't run graphical applications inside "normal"
> containers (but that was a while ago, so maybe I'm outdated)?

Would GNOME Builder be better for GUI apps? I haven't tried myself, but
it might be cleaner to get that path working instead.

Also note that you don't have to run the app itself in the container. You can
hack, `make`, and `make install` to a mounted host dir, and then run it
on the host. It does make iterating slightly more cumbersome, though that's
part of the "better tooling required" discussed in this thread.