Re: Starting an Atomic Workstation SIG

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018, at 12:22 PM, Colin Walters wrote:

> Let me put it this way; sure, you can:
> `rpm-ostree install fedpkg gcc-c++ golang cargo`.
> But you're not doing "Atomic Workstation" then.

That said though, the message is definitely not you *can't* install
packages.  As I said in my rpm-ostree talk, it became much, much
more practical for me to use Atomic Host on my basement "pet"
server when I could `rpm-ostree install libvirt`.  And in fact
this very same thing is true on the desktop side; I use virt-manager
still a lot, plus other apps which aren't flatpak'd yet like keepass,
and actually for keepass I kind of like it comes from a distribution
which theoretically has a mechanism for peer review of changes.
And of course true "extension" things like powerline and VPNs.

Some people may choose to e.g. install `ansible` on their host system.
I personally run it from my dev container, though one thing I haven't
settled on is sharing my SSH auth socket with the container.

So things are fuzzy, and I think that's how it's going to be for years going
forward.  We now have a spectrum of tools, some with dramatic
advantages over simply using yum for everything in your root filesystem;
it's not free of downsides, but we'll get better at ameliorating those over time.

The devel tools in "dev container" pattern though really works so
well IMO there's not *too* much excuse not to do it.  The main
sticking point is probably IDE integration.

> Let me say again just to emphasize; try containerizing your desktop first!

To be clear I mean your *existing* desktop.