Re: Starting an Atomic Workstation SIG

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018, at 4:23 PM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Hi desktop-list and others,
>
> There was a lot of interest around Atomic Workstation at DevConf.cz - there
> were three talks specifically about Atomic Workstation (*), in addition to
> quite a few related talks.
>
> We should try to catch some of this momentum and figure out how to move the
> project forward. My thought is that it would be useful to set up a regular
> IRC meeting, probably every two weeks - more or less an Atomic Workstation
> SIG.

I'll likely join this meeting most of the time, but I'm not sure I can commit to being part of
the SIG officially - anyways @jlebon knows the ostree/rpm-ostree side well.   I think
it'd be best if I keep my focus on Atomic Host primarily as well as handling
the IoT/embedded cases.

But obviously I use this today and am quite invested in seeing it succeed;
I'll be fixing bugs regardless ;)

> Sanja Bonic and Colin Walters - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4IPWlfkJSo

Also: Jan Pazdziora: Minimizing workstation installation - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWoFpOoA-tE

And I'd really recommend that anyone interested in all of this to try
investing in containerizing their desktop *first*.  I know a ton
of people are interested in the transaction updates from rpm-ostree; and
yes it's awesome, but in itself it's a huge change.

Let me put it this way; sure, you can:
`rpm-ostree install fedpkg gcc-c++ golang cargo`.
But you're not doing "Atomic Workstation" then.  (And yes, I really
do use fedpkg from a container, it mostly works because the lack
of user namespaces means fedpkg build picks up kerberos from my
host's uid)

Also of course, you can `oc cluster up` on yum-managed hosts just
as easily.  And if OpenShift fits your use case, do that *first* too.

> Kalev Lember - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yc7lvkl5atE
> Jonathan Lebon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3GdfhWzcc

Also Colin Walters: Hybrid image/package OS updates with rpm-ostree - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWoFpOoA-tE
(And after watching this a bit I think you can skip to ~6:47 or so if you
 want to get to the point more quickly)

Let me say again just to emphasize; try containerizing your desktop first!