Re: Add support of the Totem on the Dell Canvas 27

On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 04:46:39PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-11-10 at 21:47 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> >

> > On 10 Nov 2017, at 11:16, Benjamin Tissoires <benjamin.tissoires@gmai
> > l.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The Dell Canvas 27 has a new tool called the Totem[1].
> > > This tool is aimed at popping up a menu right around it and the
> > > user
> > > can select the desired menu by turning the tool and pushing it (it
> > > has
> > > an embedded button).
> >
> > Apart from the coordinates telling you where it is on screen, what’s
> > the difference with the USB and later BLE versions of the PowerMate:
> > https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffin_PowerMate
> > https://griffintechnology.com/us/powermate-bluetooth
>
> I also found another stand-alone tool that works similarly, the
> Logitech Craft keyboard:
> https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B074KFNJQJ/

closer to the griffin powermate, imo

> (About 200 units of currency)
>
> As well as 2 devices from 3D Connexion:
> https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B000LB7G00/
> https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00283VWK4/

I have an old version of the second one floating around. These are 3D mice
and not the same as the totem. They're designed for full 3d navigation in
e.g. blender and provide the axes accordingly (they're basically a
joystick). The usage patterns are quite different, I don't think we should
throw those into the same category with the totem.

Cheers,
   Peter