Re: Initial setup redundancy

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 14:51 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 2:24 PM, Adam Williamson
>> <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Then it's a stupid spec. Just because a spec says something stupid
>> > doesn't really mean we have to do it. I don't think we're claiming
>> > anywhere that Fedora is fully in line with the UEFI spec, are we?
>>
>> This is so incredibly asinine. Look, you want what you want because
>> you want it. The only possible way to win this particular bunfight is
>> to admit the irrationality of the position. Because otherwise you have
>> to say:
>>
>> Users rebooting to Windows having fucked up time for possibly an hour
>> until Windows resync's time and updates the clock, and then they
>> reboot Linux and the journal log has fucked up time until chrony kicks
>> in and updates things, IS EXACTLY WHAT WE WANT, THIS IS PERFECT.
>
> Well, not really, as anaconda still keeps the system clock in local
> time if you install alongside Windows, AIUI. But doing it when Windows
> isn't involved seems pretty dumb.

OK well I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and Fedora 26 and
that was not my experience, and I don't have an explanation for why
it's working differently for me than as intended.

In any case specs and standards involve compromise. All that matters
is getting the information you need, you don't always get what you
want. And here we have everything we need. What a handful of people
want is immaterial. And your position upon getting what's needed but
not all that's wanted is to stomp feet, complain, and do not
participate. It's not a rational or technical argument.

The Linux only installation might run Windows in a VM. It'd be easy
and unambiguous to pass through the host GetTime () to establish the
VM's virtual RTC, so that the guest OS does not matter. I have no idea
what really happens, but I'm pretty sure UTC gets passed through to
the VM's clock, and now Windows always boots with the wrong time at
least by default.

But I don't even know that this is intentional or an oversight. All of
the tianocore edkii code is very clear as well, GetTim (), SetTime(),
GetWakeupTime(), SetWakeupTime() is all expected to be in "current
local time" and it's been this way since at least 2004. And also not
clear is whether anyone's ever proposed a change, if a change is
forthcoming in some future spec.

I do not care if the rtc encodes the time in dog time, ant time, or
camel time. What matters is whether it's unambiguous. And as much of a
PITA as the UEFI spec is, it is written down, and it's fairly
detailed, and it's fairly unambiguous.

--
Chris Murphy