Re: Initial setup redundancy

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 12:17:32PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > I'm definitely in favor of the user account changes. The current setup
> > is confusing for non-experienced users, especially because
> > administrator isn't checked by default. This leads to situations where
> > only a root account is created, and if you log in to Workstation in
> > X or (especially) Wayland as root, many things don't work in
> > non-obvious ways. Like, the GNOME user account panel.
> I don't think this is possible. If you only create a root password in
> anaconda, this is noticed at first boot, and g-i-s runs in its pre-GDM
> mode and forces you to create a user account before you reach GDM.

I got a user report recently about this situation -- I'll verify. It's
possible they created a non-admin user account in addition to setting
the root password. However, it seems in this case they could log in as
that non-admin user and unlock with the root password, right? Maybe the
problem is simply insufficient warning when logging in to GNOME as
root.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>