Re: F21-F26 boot time comparison

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 5:27 PM, Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The results were in contrast to mcatanzaro's from that blog post. I
found no significant difference in boot times across F21-F25. With only
one exception, pretty much every 'boot to GDM' measurement came out at
30 seconds, give or take a second or two, and every 'GDM to GNOME'
measurement came out in the range of 6 to 8 seconds.

Thanks for investigating this. It's great that the results are mostly favorable, except for this recent regression in F26.

Note that the reviewer who measured boot times across different Fedora releases was HecticGeek, not me:

http://www.hecticgeek.com/2015/11/fedora-23-review/

(He has newer measurements in newer articles.)

I wonder why his results differ from yours. I'm surprised that the removal of the readahead daemon is not causing any problems in your measurement, like it did for him. That's great, though.

So I'm *still* not sure what's behind the very slow F23 boot Michael
reported, but my test couldn't reproduce that slowness or show any
significant difference between any of the releases from F21 to F25. The
difference between F25 and F26 might be worth some independent re-
testing and deeper analysis.

I've since switched to using an SSD and it boots to GDM in 15 seconds, so it's not bothering me anymore anyway. I was worried about boot time without readahead for spinning disk users, but since your results show no difference, perhaps we should not bother.

Michael