Re: User's Feedback

Hi,

Wow, nice list! Thanks for putting this together. A few comments/complaints from me:

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Jiri Eischmann <eischmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
UPDATES
Quite a few people complained about having to restart to install
updates. I know objective reasons for this, but it's important to
understand that it's perceived as annoying by users and we should
strive for minimizing the number of packages that need to be updated
offline.

First priority should be to fix our update frequency. Currently the policy is this:

* Daily notifications of available security updates
* Daily notifications of all flatpak updates (no restart required, but still annoying)
* Weekly notifications of other (normal) updates

I'd be interested in seeing statistics on how frequently we have security updates, but my guess is that there is a new security update every 2-3 days, so in practice we prompt users to reboot 2-3 times per week. Maybe even more? I have not been keeping track.

Problem is: most security updates are not high-priority. We do need daily notification for the most serious security updates, but the vast majority of security updates do not require expedited release. Our updates already have metadata to indicate the severity of the security issue (low/medium/high), so we should start notifying daily only for the high priority security updates and see how well that goes.

We also do not need weekly notifications of normal updates. Let's dial this back to monthly instead. With these changes, I expect we would have an order of magnitude fewer reboots.

Even the nightly flatpak apps need to not trigger daily notifications. These should either be updated monthly like everything else, or updated silently in the background (because why not?)

UPGRADES
One of the most frequent request was an LTS version. When I asked why,
the answer was typically that upgrades still bring incompatibilities,
regressions, lost settings. The most frequently mentioned offender was
NM, other mentioned problems were mostly hardware related (regressions
in graphics, dockin station support, sound).

Well the LTS is definitely CentOS. There seems to be little value in us trying to compete with ourselves by offering a second LTS. I don't know how to make this more clear to users.

* Some extensions make the Shell crash.

Well that's the result of turning off the version checks. There's no way to avoid this without removing support for extensions entirely, or requiring extension authors to validate compatibility. We decided to get rid of that step, so more crashes are to be expected.

What we should probably do is have a mechanism for flagging extensions as broken, so that they can be removed from extensions.gnome.org until they are fixed.

* You have to restart to switch from GNOME Classic to GNOME (perhaps a
bug in F25?).

Definitely a bug of some sort.

WAYLAND
Not really big surprises here:
* Missing remote desktop (one of the most frequent comments at all).
* Missing color picker support.

There's no color picker...? Why not? That seems really weird. This is GtkColorChooser? I'm trying it right now, via GtkWidgetFactory, and it's working perfectly fine. Is this maybe some third-party application that's broken?

LOCALIZATION
Users don't get a fully localized system after installing Fedora. Many
languages don't have all l10n packages on the installation ISO and
users have to run 'sudo dnf install langpacks-*' manually to install
missing packages, but most users don't have a clue about this and just
think that the missing localization is not in Fedora at all. Mainly
LibreOffice suffers from this not being localized at all. This is a
long known problem and we should really fix it and install the missing
packages automatically either during installation or in the initial
experience.

All supported languages need to be on the installation ISO, even if it makes the ISO twice as large. Non-English locales like Czech should not be second-class citizens in Fedora. We should fix this. A larger ISO would be unfortunate for users stuck on metered connections, but this is something you only have to download once.

There have been a couple of other complaints about locatization,
everything language specific. But localization seems to be very
important to users and they're very sensitive to untranslated pieces of UI, especially if it's what's perceived as part of the system, it makes
the system look amateurish.

On the other hand, it's not our job to provide a good translation into every language for every app. Hopefully the Czech-speaking community can step up to help the Fedora and GNOME translation project. I know that GNOME at least has a very active Czech translator, Marek; he would probably like to hear specific feedback.

PDF
Many complaints about PDF support, mostly:
* Evince doesn't support non-ascii characters in PDF forms, this is a
major problem for many people.
* Some PDF forms refuse to work with anything but Acrobat Reader
although they may work just fine with Evince, faking a reader's
identity might be a solution here.
* Incomplete support for PDF 1.7.

One problem here is that some PDFs use Adobe JavaScript. 99% of these PDFs are malicious and use it to install Windows viruses, but some of them are legit. Evince does not support JavaScript. (And frankly, that's probably for the better.) I don't know how many PDFs this affects.

* Firefox should have tabs integrated into the title bar just like on
Window.

We should ship with Epiphany preinstalled. Firefox on GNOME is such a joke. How many months was the GNOME integration theme broken last year? ;)

* Cannot connect to GOA accounts after log out and log in to the
account (it's a known systemd bug, but a pretty annoying one and we
have had it for several releases already).

This is an accepted F26 blocker, so it's going to get fixed one way or another.

BUG HANDLING
A couple of users complained that bug reports in RHBZ get ignored which
discourages them to report problems.

We must close all GNOME packages to bug reports. GNOME problems just have to be reported upstream. We can't handle the volume on Red Hat Bugzilla, which half the relevant maintainers do not check.

We also need to do some major, major work on ABRT client-side, maybe even rewrite the client side app from scratch.

Michael