Re: User's Feedback

----- Original Message -----

<SNIP>
> > BUG HANDLING
> > A couple of users complained that bug reports in RHBZ get ignored
> > which
> > discourages them to report problems.
>
> We must close all GNOME packages to bug reports. GNOME problems just
> have to be reported upstream. We can't handle the volume on Red Hat
> Bugzilla, which half the relevant maintainers do not check.
>
> We also need to do some major, major work on ABRT client-side, maybe
> even rewrite the client side app from scratch.
>
> Michael

This feels like a non-solution to me. First of all it is very arbitrary.
So you are supposed to file all other bugs in Fedora bugzilla except the
ones that happen to have a GNOME Bugzilla entry? And we are also asking our
users to be able to differentiate between application bugs and packaging bugs,
which in some cases might be hard even for very technically proficient users.
As for the volume, to be fair it is not like we are able to handle the upstream
volume either. So having all Fedora bugs filed upstream doesn't ensure
they are looked at.

My take here is that if we have a Fedora package then as part of owning that
Fedora package comes a responsibility to look at Fedora bugzilla and if need
be file upstream bugs for issues. As we move forward and more things are maybe
provided as upstream flatpaks and rpms it would be natural to send users upstream
with bugs too for those packages, but for the core operating system I think we will
always have to have a local bugzilla. That said I don't have a clear idea how we can
solve the volume issue though, apart from relying on things like ABRT to help us prioritize
what bugs realistically gets looked at. Also for bugs it is obvious we don't have the resources
to move on, maybe we should be better at closing them and saying that we don't have the resources
(that is not a suggestion to blanket close all bugzilla entries in one bugzilla or the other though).

Christian