Re: Remove the chains of opression: Gnome Online Accounts is spyware

On Wed, 2016-11-30 at 14:36 +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
> Maybe it's due to the evolution-data-server, requiring GOA for its
> build, but do not split GOA-related code into a separate subpackage.
> I guess I can change it, though it requires some coordination to have
> it installed by default, at least for the Workstation and the like.

It's not just e-d-s, it's a dependency of control-center, which is a
dependency of gnome-shell.

I think the original poster is just trolling, but I'll give a serious
answer: we're not building a mix-and-match, you might be more
interested in another distro if you want to disable core components of
GNOME. gnome-online-accounts does not collect any personal data at all,
so claiming that it is spyware is rather much. It's also totally
optional: you can simply not use it. A cursory glance over the provided
services would indicate that it's not just for connecting to Google
stuff; I use it to connect to my company's IMAP/SMTP and ownCloud
services.

Cheers,

Michael