Re: Fedora Branding - Re: I asked Hacker News what developers want from a desktop, and this is what they said

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 11:28:45AM -0500, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> Making Fedora recognisable doesn't (necessarily) mean having a distinct
> visual identity, a different one from GNOME.

I'm having trouble understanding what this means. Can you give an
example?

> Most of GNOME's visual identity also has design foundations, they're not
> gratuitous. Changing the visual identity (as opposed to making something
> based on GNOME recognisable) means throwing away part of the user testing
> and holistic approach to the desktop's design (from boot, all the way to the
> apps).

"Throwing away" seems a little dramatic. I get the importance of
design. Building and reinforcing the Fedora brand is a marketing
requirement — one of the things the design needs to accomplish. If it
does not do that, it isn't succeeding.

I agree that user testing is an important part, in any case. I'd like
to see a lot more of it.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>