Re: Proposal: Fedora Workstation ships with enabled trusted flatpak runtime remotes

On ons, 2016-11-09 at 11:28 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-11-08 at 19:14 +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> >

> > Another solution would be shipping Fedora Workstation with trusted
> > remotes with flatpak runtimes enabled. It's not a long list right
> > now,
> > pretty much just: FreeDesktop.org, GNOME, and KDE. Vast majority of
> > existing flatpak apps are using runtimes provided by these. If
> > those
> > remotes were enabled in Workstation by default, then installing a
> > flatpak bundle such as LibreOffice would be just a matter of
> > double-
> > clicking the file and approving the operation because
> > Software/Flatpak
> > could figure out the rest including installation of a runtime from
> > one
> > of the trusted remotes.
>
> I see half of a proposal here. You want FreeDesktop.org, GNOME, and
> KDE
> runtimes. Great, I agree. But we need to decide on which versions of
> those runtimes we will provide. FreeDesktop runtime is supposed to be
> an LTS, so we probably want to support all versions of that, whenever
> they are. But we can't support a new GNOME runtime every six months,
> nor a new KDE runtime every six weeks. So we have to make some
> decision
> on which versions are supported, and for how long, which versions are
> not supported. And that has to happen upstream of Fedora, or the
> "your
> app runs everywhere" compatibility guarantee goes out the window.
>
> My suggestion would be to have one GNOME LTS release every two years.
> I'll suggest eventually using the second release every odd-numbered
> year, to time it before an Ubuntu LTS, but we could bootstrap it with
> GNOME 3.22 or GNOME 3.24 or whichever. Then we'd support each of
> those
> for, say, 5 or 10 years, and not any versions in between. Ideally
> that
> would all be discussed and agreed upstream, so that other distros
> will
> follow what we do. What do you think about this approach? What do the
> other stakeholders think (Alex?)?

Clearly we can't support old gnome releases released every 6 months
forever. However, i think there is a sort of automatic resolution to
this, because in general apps that target the gnome/kde platform rev
pretty often because they follow the evolution of the platform. So, not
a lot of gnome apps are going to use old gnome runtimes.

Still, you may want to use an old app, and thus an old platform. But
the question then becomes, what does support even mean if you're not
even using the latest update version of the app?

For apps that are less tied to the gnome or kde platforms, targeting
the freedesktop runtime might be better.

That said, some kinds of apps may want more platform libraries, yet
still not rev that often. For such apps i guess defining some versions
of the gnome/kde platforms as "more LTS" than others make sense.

There has also been discussions about creating an official "LTS"
flatpak runtime, based on some centos7 version, which would have a
really long support time, due the the centos base. I don't know what
the state of this is apart from it being "in discussion".