NetworkManager's Metered property (was: Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage)

On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 12:31 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 09:23:06AM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > For that matter, I'm fairly sure I've seen background update
> > downloading happen when I was using an Android wifi tether
> > connection. I'm pretty sure I remember it blowing my data cap one
> > month when I was using my laptop on the bus.
>
> As far as I can see, the default is "unknown". You can set
> "CONNECTION_METERED=yes" in the
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-[whatever] file to change it on
> per-device basis.
>
> The man page for NetworkManager.conf doesn't document this as one of
> the properties which can have its default overridden (and says that
> anything not documented can't be overridden). I took that at its
> word;
> possibly worth testing anyway. :)

Hi,

In NetworkManager this works as follows:

(1) There is the per-connection property "connection.metered" [1]. It
can be "yes", "no", "unknown". "unknown" is the default and prompts NM
to do some basic heuristics.

 $ nmcli -f connection.metered connection show $NAME
 $ nmcli connection update $NAME connection.metered yes

(2) Then there is the Device's metered property in the D-Bus API [2].
If you activate a connection that has "connection.metered" explicitly
set to "yes" or "no", that's it.
Otherwise, NM will set the device property to "guess-yes" or "guess-
no". For example,
  - WWAN connections are "guess-yes"
  - if there is a DHCP option ANDROID_METERED, it is "guess-yes".
See [4].

  $ nmcli -f GENERAL.METERED device show $DEVICE

(3) Finally, there is the Manager's metered property [3]. This combines
the metered property of multiple devices into one. PackageKit would
only care about this

  $ busctl get-property org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.NetworkManager Metered

best,
Thomas

[1] https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/stable/nm-settings.html#nm-settings.property.connection.metered
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/stable/gdbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.Device.html#gdbus-property-org-freedesktop-NetworkManager-Device.Metered