Re: DNF and PackageKit background data usage

On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 09:13 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Mon, 2016-10-31 at 08:18 -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
>
> > > How does a connection become "unmetered"? It can't just be on interface type,
> > > as I have metered connections on all interface types, so presumably you use
> > > some form of web service to distinguish "metered" from "unmetered" based on
> > > a list of known IP blocks?
> > >
> > > Or do you simply assume that all connections are metered until the user says
> > > otherwise?
> >
> > They're metered unless you either tag them as unmetered, or hints are provided
> > to NetworkManager by what you're connected to. For example, Android tethering
> > is automatically tagged as metered as Android provides a hint in its DHCP
> > configuration.
>
> Does NetworkManager 'hint' that wired connections are unmetered?
> Otherwise your description doesn't seem to square with the fact that
> most everyone sees background update downloads OOTB.
>
> Even still, in fact, kparal mentioned them happening on hotel wifi, so
> why would that be the case if the default is 'metered'?

For that matter, I'm fairly sure I've seen background update
downloading happen when I was using an Android wifi tether connection.
I'm pretty sure I remember it blowing my data cap one month when I was
using my laptop on the bus.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey