Re: Another round of default app discussion

On Sun, 2016-09-11 at 18:18 +0200, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Agreed, Bijiben 3.20 is broken, so I don't see a reason to include
> it.

FYI, you've responded to my proposals for F24... this one was already
implemented last cycle!

> I would keep it in for the time being, but it's true GNOME Boxes need
> to improve. I'm not sure if we can achieve it with the current scope.
> It's too simple to be used by power users. I've talked to Fedora QA
> several times what would have to change in order to make them switch
> Boxes as their daily drivers, so that it can get enough test
> coverage.
> There are quite a few fundamental features missing.
> I don't think that with the current scope of Boxes it's something the
> virt guys who now develop virt-manager would be interested in. Again
> many fundamental features missing.
> So the problem of Boxes is that it could be a nice tool for average
> users, but people who can move it forward don't use it and because of
> missing features it's not really interesting for them.

Well most of the bugs I complained about got fixed; it works fine for
me now. I use it on a daily basis and I'm pretty happy with it. When I
tried to use virt-manager, I couldn't figure out how to create and
start a VM, so I'm pretty sure that's not a viable competitor. :)

We actually wound up moving Boxes to GNOME core upstream, shortly after I wrote this complaint and Zeeshan started looking into those bugs. There's really only one major problem I see remaining regarding virtualization, which is that sometimes it gets stuck just spinning its spinner forever. That's unfortunate, but not the end of the world. The other major problem is that it replaced our remote desktop client, vinagre, but it can't handle RDP yet. That would be a cool project to work on.

> With Photos, I'd rather wait until we have camera import implemented.
> We already have someone working on it, but it will land in F26 at the
> earliest.

The working group agreed on this, so you won't hear me talking about
Photos again until after camera import is working. Shame, I was hoping
to get rid of it sooner. ;)

Michael