Default app changes for F25

Hi,

I've added Photos to GNOME core (upstream), because I think we've
reached the point where Photos is a much better app than Shotwell for
the vast majority of users. But it still cannot import photos from
cameras and SD cards, as Mairin and Luya have pointed out. I want to
avoid having an endless list of blocking feature requests, but I do
understand that import from cameras is an important use case for the
default photo application. So I propose we either (a) make the switch
now, following upstream, or (b) agree now to do it in the future once
this final feature is finished, that way we don't have to keep
discussing it every six months. I looked at the roadmap [1] and all the
other features look like nice-to-haves rather than essentials,
especially considering the dramatic quality difference we already have
between these two apps.

On Wed, 2016-07-20 at 10:05 -0500, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> P.S. As I've sort of become the "default app guy," I'll mention that
> have no further changes proposed for F25. The only other change for
> F25
> (made a few months ago) was to drop Vinagre in favor of GNOME Boxes.

Hm, this didn't last.

We agreed at GUADEC to add Calendar to GNOME core, so as per our
previous agreement to match upstream unless we decide otherwise, I'm
planning to add it as a default app in F25. It's kinda redundant with
Evolution, but Evolution is not a core app and Calendar is, so that's
Evolution's problem IMO.

I also noticed that seahorse is not in core, but we still have in as a
default app. seahorse has been extremely broken for several years; much
of its GPG-related functionality doesn't work at all, and there are UI
bugs all over the place, as Federico demonstrated during his GUADEC
presentation [2]. Accordingly, I'd like to get rid of it, at least
until a rewrite/redesign has been completed. I've moved it to the
"incubator" group upstream, where we keep apps that are just not good
enough to have by default. The alternative is to keep it around until
we have a replacement ready, but work on the redesign has stalled, and
I don't really want to do that unless someone is actively working on
it.

Michael

[1] https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Photos/Roadmap
[2] https://media.ccc.de/v/21-how_docould_we_store_secrets_in_gnome