Re: [wayland] Applications are unable to grab input

Hi,

> Any luck with a fix or updates for this? Having a hard time with my vmware
> view client and the same problems..

Well, this is a longer term fix, because by design (and on purpose), Wayland doesn't allow clients to have an active grab so it's a bit complicated for Xwayland to translate these to the Wayland compositor.

A possibility would be to use some sort of a "private" Wayland protocol that only Xwayland would use to inform the compositor that an X11 application has an active grab. That means reaching an agreement on the protocol, then implementing it in Xwayland and the compositors (mutter/gnome-shell in our case).

Also, we wouldn't want just any Wayland client to be able to use it (otherwise we kinda lose the benefit of not having grabs), so as a bit of yak shaving, I've been trying to get an API to restrict the visible protocols to clients, https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/105319/ - But not having the API in place is by no mean a show stopper.

I'll add this to the feature page.

Cheers,
Olivier