Re: [wayland] Applications are unable to grab input

> On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Christian Stadelmann
> <genodeftest(a)fedoraproject.org&gt; wrote:
>
> What about it? Applications can't take exclusive control of keyboard
> input which is a good thing obviously.

Some applications really have to. If they don't get this feature they will be broken on wayland.

> They won't be able to get
> events for key combos that are registered as global shortcuts in the
> compositor which I suppose is your worry.

Correctly.

> We could address that with more protocol for apps to request a mode or
> mark their windows such that the compositor disables some (or even all
> but an "escape") global shortcuts when that window gets keyboard
> focus.

Right. Virtual machines and remote desktop softare often needs to get every shortcut but an escape shortcut. That's what we need. In an ideal world the compositor could ask the user before doing this, so it cannot be abused by e.g. keyloggers.

Still, should I post this request to fdo's mailing list or bugzilla?