Re: Consider tuned-gui as an important element for "advanced" users on the Fedora Workstation

On Thu, Jul 21, 2016 at 7:34 AM, Bastien Nocera <bnocera@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

OK except they're not being identified or fixed at all in the meantime.

The concern I have with defaulting to a more aggressive power
management scheme is we start seeing a bunch of edge cases where
things stop working after they're put to sleep and just don't wake up.
Things like audio not working after waking from sleep; or Bluetooth
not resuming unless it's power cycled; or in really bad scenarios
triggering firmware bugs either in logic boards or drives resulting in
hangs or even corruption. So... it's a catch 22, because often such
problems expose areas that need attention, which won't happen
unless/until there's a problem.

If we're going to be serious about improving the power management
experience, it'll also mean improving the user's ability to track
what's not working correctly with it enabled, and helping them work
around hardware bugs that can't be fixed by anyone but the
manufacturer. Isolation of bug ownership is important in making power
management better.

>> This tool is very powerful and its use is relegated to
>> the servers systems, however, it can be put to good use for fedora
>> Workstation for users seeking advanced settings via a user interface
>> (tuned-gtk).
>
> I think that those advanced settings are better handled through optional
> after-installation downloads, in much the same way that we don't ship
> gnome-tweak-tool in the default installation (because if those settings
> were required, we would really want them to be in the default settings UI).
>
> I would really rather see measurements and benchmarks being done, and
> defaults applied to systems either through the kernel or through udev/systemd
> callouts rather than papering over the problems.

I want to interact with udev like I want another hole in my head. By
all means feel free to collect data and make dynamic adjustments, but
if this is happening on a desktop environment there needs to be a way
to selectively disable such optimizations because they can cause
unforeseen problems. And if it's baby and bath water level granularity
for disabling these optimizations, then it's not going to progress the
experience positively, either for the user or for development.

--
Chris Murphy