Re: GNOME Photos as default app for F25

Hi,

On 07/20/2016 11:05 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
We've discussed replacing Shotwell many times in the past. I believe
consensus was that gThumb would be better, but we would instead wait
for GNOME Photos to mature a bit more so we don't change the default
photo app so many times. Photos is pretty clearly more polished than
Shotwell at this point, and I think we're ready to make the switch. Of
course it is still under active development, but let's not make perfect
the enemy of the good. If you care about this change, please either +1
or object.

Just some comments from an active heavy user of Fedora media applications including photography applications:

Shotwell for a long time was the only GNOMEish application that I could use to reliably and safely import photos from my dSLRs. The key feature is the ability to import the folders using a specific layout on disk based on timestamps in each photo's EXIF data. This means I can merge photos from multiple cameras (2 dSLRs and multiple smart phones and extended family members' cameras & FB downloads) into a single filesystem on our family's media center and in our cloud backup (so we can view photos based on date / family event rather than by whatever device happened to take the picture.)

Shotwell's ability to do the import is not perfect - frequently if you use a large memory card in your camera (say ~32 GB) it would freeze/hang during import and occasionally crash. Because of the instability, I sought out another app for importing recently; I discovered gthumb now does it - beautifully. It's UI fits in with the rest of GNOME even better than Shotwell, and it is more robust than Shotwell in that it doesn't appear to freeze or crash during large imports.

It does not appear GNOME Photos has a method of importing photos off of a camera. So taking Shotwell out for GNOME Photos potentially means removing the functionality of photo import off of cameras.

I am not going to tell you whether or not that is the right thing to do for Workstation, and I am certainly capable of dnf installing gthumb for my own needs. Swapping out Shotwell *will* remove a current out-of-the-box Workstation functionality, however, and I think when making the decision you should be aware of this.

Sorry for the long-windedness (hopefully illustrates the full user context,) and I hope this helps in some way.

~m