Re: ostree-based workstation variant as F25 change?

On 03/15/2016 12:30 PM, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 11:44 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:04:28AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a proposal from me:
>>> Suggested F25 change: add an ostree-based workstation variant
>>> We've started various aspects of the work required for it, so we
>>> should
>>> make this an official goal and put together a page to coordinate
>>> it.
>> I have a few questions...
>>
>> * What is the advantage to users of having such a variant?
>>
>> * Are there behind-the-scenes advantages (as with Wayland)?
>>
>> * Is it expected that all software will be installed via xdg-app?
>>    - including some of the base applications?
>>    - if so, can we be ready for the release engineering changes
>>      required for F25?
>>    - if not, what _is_ the mechanism for installing applications?
>>    - and does having applications installed in some non-container
>>      mechanism negate the advantages above?
>>
>> And, also, you know my perennial question here: can we bring this
>> into
>> greater alignment with Atomic so that we a) have a unified story for
>> users and developers and b) aren't splitting our resources?
>>

> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/AtomicWorkstation
>
> has some answers to your questions.

"The basic question with using Vagrant from a marketing perspective: how are we
a better development environment for deployment on Linux if developers are
working the same way they would on a different operating system."

I'd just like to chime in that exceeding the competition is ideal, but let's be
careful not to lose ground by continuing to deliver an inferior experience while
we decide what a perfect one is.

Right now, Vagrant gives Windows and Mac users an ability to continue working in
an environment they're comfortable with while still being able to deploy on
Linux. At least having this remain a highly-supported option means one fewer
thing they have to learn in order to make the switch. So I guess what I'm saying
is basically: don't fixate on having EVERY aspect of Workstation be a "better"
experience. Wherever possible, let the day-to-day workflow remain the same for
someone who is crossing over and then wow them with the ecosystem around it.

Remember: no matter how good the new workflow is, if it is *different* then
users will complain and fear it (or irrationally complain without giving it a
chance). Sometimes a slightly more polished solution that still works how people
are accustomed will go further than a brand new solution that people are
unwilling to try.