ostree-based workstation variant as F25 change?

On Tue, Mar 15, 2016 at 11:04:28AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> Here's a proposal from me:
> Suggested F25 change: add an ostree-based workstation variant
> We've started various aspects of the work required for it, so we should
> make this an official goal and put together a page to coordinate it.

I have a few questions...

* What is the advantage to users of having such a variant?

* Are there behind-the-scenes advantages (as with Wayland)?

* Is it expected that all software will be installed via xdg-app?
   - including some of the base applications?
   - if so, can we be ready for the release engineering changes
     required for F25?
   - if not, what _is_ the mechanism for installing applications?
   - and does having applications installed in some non-container
     mechanism negate the advantages above?

And, also, you know my perennial question here: can we bring this into
greater alignment with Atomic so that we a) have a unified story for
users and developers and b) aren't splitting our resources?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>