Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Wed, 2016-01-20 at 19:15 +0000, Chris Murphy wrote:
> So I just read meeting minutes, and I think the WG should look into
> 64-bit kernel + 32-bit everything else. With that, there's a
> supported kernel. The i686 images will be created no matter what, per
> releng's comments, so they might as well be in a supportable
> condition.

The problem with doing this, at least back in the yum era, is that yum
derives its notion of host CPU architecture from that of the kernel
(though whether that was by looking at package arch or uname I'm no
longer able to recall), so the first 'yum upgrade' you ran would
archgrade you to x86_64. So this would almost certainly require some
support from the package manager.

In a more theoretical sense, really the set of kernel interfaces that
can be _expected_ to work correctly in a U32/K64 setup are the
interfaces that the i686 builders hit in the process of building
packages, which is probably quite a bit less than the set a real
desktop would use. That's not an argument against, necessarily, but I'd
expect to hit at least a few sui generis bugs if I tried to use such a
beast.

- ajax