Re: Dropping i686 media for F24

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 05:09:47PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2016 11:04 AM, "Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek" <zbyszek@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >

> > > I'm looking at the numbers I have. From the release of Fedora 21 until
> > > F22 release, 23% of all ISO "pings" are for i686. (Less than 1% are
> > >
> > > The 15% 32-bit comes from a different data source: package update
> > > connections (again, pings, really).
> >
> > The exact number isn't terribly important. Either number supports my
> > point: dropping i686 Workstations will _significantly_ reduce our
> > installation base.
> >
> > I know that it's hard to find volunteers to work on 32bit. I myself
> > haven't used a non-arm 32bit machine in years. But we'd have to work
> > a lot to increase the user base by 15% to make up this loss.
>
> Why?

Why would we want to have more users in general?
Why they would go away if we stop supporting their hardware?
Why it will be hard to replace them?

Or more narrowly, why we would want to have this specific group of users?

I'm not sure what question you are asking, one of those, or maybe
something completely different. The first three have obvious answers,
and to anwer the fourth: I think it matches Fedora's foundations, and
is an investment for the future. We strengthen our community by
supporting people who for one reason or another are using old hardware.
I presume that it's not because they want to, but because they don't
have resources. At some point they will upgrade, and maybe get better
internet access, and hopefully become fully contributing  members of the
community. "Freedom" and "friends".

Zbyszek