Re: Why people are not switching to Fedora

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 12:14:32AM +0300, Elad Alfassa wrote:
> It's not the job of an OS to educate people.

I agree, but let's do keep in mind that the job of *Fedora* is to lead
the advancement of free and open source software, and educating people
can reasonably be a component of that. Building an OS is one of the
activities we undertake in order to accomplish that mission, but we're
*not* doing it for its own sake.

> Developers probably already know what open source is - we are no
> longer the underdog. Open Source solutions are used everywhere. If
> you're a developer, chances are you already know what open source is.

That's definitely one of the reasons developers were chosen as a target
for Workstation. We're not starting from zero. But we _do_ want those
users to get increasingly caught up in using free and open source
software everywhere as a first choice, not just when it happens to be
an easy one. If we can do that by making things easier, awesome — and
we should! — but that's not the only angle available to us.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>