Re: Why people are not switching to Fedora

On Thu, May 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Its getting worse RF does not have a repo for F22 which means once it
> is released even RF won't be an easy option for a while.

I should also point out that this specific third party repo is not a
solution. It's not easy for people to install, it requires prior
knowledge. If a user needs to google search how to make their music
play and follow instructions on some forum, that's a very bad first
impression. If you google how to play mp3 in fedora, the first result
is an askfedora thread, whose first answer talks about gstreamer1
porting... that's not useful for users. At all. So not only it's a
google search, it's a google search that would land you on pages with
confusing technical terms. Yes, Workstation is for developers, but you
can't expect every web developer to get familiar with the architecture
of our multimedia stack just to play their music.

And even if they do find that repo, they have no way to install it
securely and safely. While rpmfusion packages are signed, the key is
downloaded in the initial setup (when you download the -release RPM)
over plain text,
and the page you download it from is a wiki people can just edit - and
also served over plain text so someone could modify the instructions
and the links...

Another point is that this repo does not seem to be fast enough with
security updates, as it is operated by volunteers and doesn't seem to
have a security response team - so it sometimes takes weeks for
critical security fixes to be shipped to users.

I don't know how to solve these issues. I know there's a complicated
legal background for all of this, but what I do know is:
1) People should be able to play music and videos
2) People shouldn't need to sacrifice their safety to play music and videos
3) People shouldn't need to have special knowledge about how their OS
works to perform these basic tasks.

And this example is about codecs... drivers are even a bigger mess.
How is a user supposed to download a wifi driver when their wifi is
not working? Keep in mind that many newer laptops don't have an
ehternet port at all. If you have a broadcom wireless chip and no
ethernet port, you'll need a second device, or a second OS, to find
out how to get the driver and how to install it. And if you have a
different OS that already works, and Fedora requires you to either
replace your wifi chip or figure out the magic command lines to
install a driver, why would you make the switch?

Basically, the more time a person needs to spend on learning how to
make your OS work the less they'd want to make the switch.
--
-Elad.