Re: Official Fedora Survey 2015

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 03:29:41PM -0300, Diogo Campos (gmail) wrote:
>> >1) it may sound blunt, but users often don't know what they want.
>> >Henry Ford nailed it by this quote: "If I had asked people what they
>> >wanted, they would have said faster horses."
>> In fact, my original idea is to ask to people what they are, what
>> they do, what they use, what they know, and what they like(?), NOT
>> (at least not exactly/directly) what they want.
>
> Yeah. Figuring out what to ask and how to ask it is important, as is
> getting the survey to the right groups.
>

> In any case, I think we could definitely benefit from such a survey,
> and not just in the desktop space (although separate surveys or parts
> of the survey for cloud/server/workstation might make sense). Maybe
> take this discussion over to Marketing
> (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing) -- we actually talked about
> just this at the Council meeting today. For that matter, a user
> survey has been a long-time interest of the Fedora Board (now council)
> -- see <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/1> and
> <https://fedorahosted.org/council/ticket/16>.
>

>> But, BTW, a car IS a "faster horse". Isn't?
>
> One thing worth noting is that Ford had some pretty good feedback on
> whether he was right or not. People bought his cars, or they didn't --
> and either the company made a profit, or failed. We don't count
> anything that is equivalent to that in Fedora. I'm definitely open to
> ideas on how we could do that.

Create an easy way for people to legally purchase codecs and content
that is integrated through Workstation.  Count money spent.  In other
words, create a _product_.

/me laughs at himself until he is blue in the face at the thought of
all the red tape required to do that.

josh