Re: Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 11:07 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 11:46:00AM -0300, Evandro Giovanini wrote:
> > "upstream doesn't put a logo" is not the full argument as it doesn't take
> > into account the *why* of that decision. They didn't put a logo in the
> > panel because there was no room to put a logo there under the principles
> > that guided their entire design. When someone who is not a designer, was
> > not involved at all in that process, and doesn't even understand what went
> > into it, comes in and starts making changes as if they were just cosmetic
> > details you end up with a bad design.
>
> I'm not trying to dictate the design. However, I am sharing a requirement;

So, all I can find on this topic in the Workstation PRD is the
following:

> The working group will also specify policies in terms of
> branding, theming and desktop graphics, although these items
> will of course need to be in line with the overall Fedora
> branding guidelines and styles.

I don't see how, from the above, you conclude that the use cases you
mentioned (e.g showing that the OS is Fedora Workstation while giving a
talk at a conference) are requirements.

> > Let's not forget that a brand is not just a logo. Being the best operating
> > system with GNOME has become part of Fedora's brand, and something that has
> > gained it quite a few users over recent years. Making the GNOME experience
> > worse would in no way help the Fedora brand.
>
> I find the suggestion that showing the Fedora logo would somehow "make the
> experience worse" to be deeply troubling.

Depends where you put it. I can easily imagine lots of ways in which the
Fedora logo could make the experience worse. :)

--
Mathieu