Re: Workstation branding on login screen (GDM)

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 12:38:41PM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:59:11AM -0400, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > > I understand that goal, and especially for upstream it is laudable. Clean,
> > > elegant, and minimal are ideals. As a distro, though, we have to balance
> > > those ideals with other goals, including promoting identity. It is important
> > > to have visible Fedora branding somewhere. Help us figure out how.
> > Yeah, because Fedora users definitely don't want the same clean nice desktop that
> > other distributions would get.
>
> Honestly, I think that you're setting up a false dichotomy. There must be a
> way to indicate who we are with pride, rather than considering our brand
> identity something that would interfere.
>
> > Sarcasm aside, you're not going to win users by displaying the Fedora
> > logo in places where it shouldn't be, quite the contrary.
>
> Find somewhere it should be, then, please.

Is the login screen not a good place for this?  If the user installed
the system, surely they know what it is.  If the user did not, they
must login and could see a logo at the login screen.

The Apple logo referred to earlier doesn't seem like a good
comparison.  This menu is used for a lot of choices that relate to the
hardware and system.  GNOME doesn't have a comparable menu except for
the system details, which has a Fedora logo (also if you type "about"
during an Overview search).