Re: Do we really need LibreOffice installed by default?

I suspect that while the technical merits of removing LO from a default
install have their place (ie. large image size, quicker downloads, less
update server load, it can be easily discovered in and installed from the
repos, there are popular alternatives like cloud suites and alternatives,
etc. etc. etc.) it's a major set of packages, *for me*, and I suspect for
a significant proportion of users, even if a minority (in which case I
concede that that would be a further reason to consider its removal.)

Oh, here's one more technical reason to remove it, or at least modify how
it's installed:  Although I know that there is a common codebase to the
various parts, what about installing LO piece-meal?  I use Write and Calc
all the time.  I have used Impress in the past but in the past three or
four years I've used it perhaps three times.  I've never used Base, Draw,
Math or Charts since starting to use OpenOffice.org in 2005.

Beyond the question of "serious and ready for work" impression its
inclusion provides, I'd say that if it is removed, then another (suite of)
"killer app(s)" needs to be showcased.  Unfortunately, a rock-solid base
full of "a few nice apps" isn't good enough.  Note that *for*me* that
"killer app" is LO.  For someone else, LO definitely *isn't*.  For me the
Security Spin is an example of what I mean:  (1) lists all the major
packages.  I don't see LO in the list, but I consider the spin to be
"useful out of the box" despite the ommission, because LO isn't what the
Spin is about.

So I'm suggesting that I probably won't publicly care either way (and
mumble while installing LO manually, were I to use the WS live iso to
install) but that from a marketing and public image perspective, the ISO
should be "complete" -- whatever that means -- out of the box.

note:  I don't like installing from live images, for me it's all or
nothing.  I've been using the "full fat" iso or increasingly the
net-install iso for years.  Further, I'm in the camp of "easily able to
navigate and install from the repos on my own in order to start
customizing my setup".

(1) https://fedorahosted.org/security-spin/wiki/availableApps