Re: Developer focus for Fedora workstation

Matthew Miller píše v Pá 15. 08. 2014 v 10:00 -0400:
> On Fri, Aug 15, 2014 at 11:01:26AM +0200, drago01 wrote:
> > You do *not* need to drag it. You can just type you password. Or hit
> > ESC or press Enter.
> > Maybe it is not clear enough that you can do that though.
>
> This is something I've repeatedly seen users struggle with. One particular
> pain point is that shift/alt/ctrl do not clear the shield -- this is
> contrary to the training/habits of people who have been using screensavers
> for a long time, since it's "best practice" to use these keys to reduce the
> risk of accidentally sending a meaningful key to an app below when the
> screensaver clears.

I can confirm this. My mother once called me that her system was
completely ruined because all she had was a big clock on the screen. I
wondered for a while what she did with it again and then I realized that
it was a screensaver/lockscreen. She was completely stuck.
I have disabled (by an extension) the curtain on my home computer where
I don't lock the screen because in this use case I find the curtain
useless and it's an additional and unnecessary step to go back to the
session.

> I also think it would significantly simply things if the unlock-screen
> password field were just _on_ that screen instead of conceptually hidden by
> it.

I'm quite opposed to it. The curtain may contain a lot of info (music
player controller, all kinds of notifications,...), so it may get
cluttered with the password field. But I think the curtain should be
lifted by other keys such as Ctrl or Alt and should not be used if the
screen is not locked.

Jiri