Re: Cure found for kernel updates

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 07:20:19PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 15.05.14 18:13, Matthew Garrett (mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > Basically. There's a bunch of places that would need to be changed, and
> > doing it meaningfully involves doing that across multiple distributions.
> > I mean, we *could*, but it's a pain.
>
> Well, thankfully the boot loader is a giant pale of chaos
> anyway... Also, we kinda have experience with correcting these kind of
> things cross-distro thee days...

Yeah, I'm not saying that this isn't worth fixing, but adopting the spec
in Fedora right now is more than just changing the way we write boot
entries.

> > > Humm, what? the spec is used (in its gummiboot implementaiton) everyday
> > > on macs, not sure what you are referring to.
> >
> > The bootloader needs to be on an HFS+ partition to appear in the OS X
> > boot preferences.
>
> dunno. gummiboot appears to work fine to cross boot between osx and
> linux. It will automatically discover macos installations even, so
> everything should be totally fine...

I'm talking about the menu in the preferences pane inside OS X. The
spec's requirement that we use VFAT would break that.

> > Then we have configuration split over two completely different formats.
> > It's kind of unappealing.
>
> Nope. Because the chainload/memcheck stuff never changes after you
> installed the boot loader once. The kernel stuff changes all the
> time... This means the first distro (the one that owns the boot loader)
> has to create the chanload/memcheck config once, and from then one
> everything else is just done via BLS snippets, and all the distros can
> drop things to the right place without ever touching the original
> chainload/memcheck stuff...

Unless the user ever installs another OS which doesn't implement this
spec, which right now is basically all of them.

> Note that the chainload thing is a hack for MBR systems. On EFI boot
> loaders like gummiboot actually automatically discover windows and
> macosx and add it to its menu, not requiring any manual config for that.

Autodiscovery makes it impossible to pass additional options to other
bootloaders. I don't think we care that much in general, but some users
may have requirements for it. It'd be nice to have a common format to
express that.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx