Re: Cure found for kernel updates

On Wed, 14.05.14 19:47, Matthew Garrett (mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 10:27:54AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
>
> > We really need to use the boot loader spec by default. Is there any
> > reason why the support for it was added to grub, but not enabled ?
>
> The full spec is incompatible with standard practices for the EFI system
> partition,

Humm, is it? Is this about loving /boot/efi so much?

> and especially incompatible with the way we handle Mac
> hardware, so adoption is unlikely.

Humm, what? the spec is used (in its gummiboot implementaiton) everyday
on macs, not sure what you are referring to.

> The boot fragments are more
> attractive, but don't currently let us express the full set of
> configuration that we support (there's no way to specify chainloading
> another bootloader, for instance). These seem fixable, but nobody's
> currently fixing them.

The boot load spec stuff is not supposed to be necessarily exclusive. If
you want stuff like chainloading or memory checking or whatever else,
then i recommend simply doing that outside of the spec/drop-ins, and
leave the drop-ins for kernels and EFI binaries only.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat