Re: technical spec for the workstation up for review

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 06:53 -0500, Christian Schaller wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>> Yes, some items might fall partly or fully upon the base WG, but we (as their 'customers')
>> need to clearly specify what we need them to deliver. The base WG todo list needs to be
>> based upon the needs and requirements of the 3 product WGs, not the other way around.
>
> I agree there needs to be communication and co-ordination here, I'm just
> not sure the workstation technical specification is the place for that
> communication to happen.
>
> What I was guessing would happen would be that the 'product' WGs and the
> base WG would have the discussion in some other forum - a mailing list
> thread, a different wiki page, whatever - and the requirements formed as
> a result of that discussion would be a part of the base WG's
> specification, and the product specifications could then reference the
> base specification where appropriate.

Someone needs to start the list somewhere.  The Base WG hasn't done
anything of this nature at all.  The spec can be sent to them for
review, which I believe Jaroslav has volunteered to do.

> Otherwise it seems like we'll wind up with something unwieldy like the
> base specification *and* each of the product specifications all
> containing the same text (or, worse, different text for the same
> requirements), which seems suboptimal.

I agree that's a possibility, but I'd rather _one_ of the WGs start by
trying to be productive and then reaching out instead of having them
all just sit around waiting for each other.

josh