Re: DE discussion summary

On Mon, 2014-02-10 at 19:35 -0800, Dan Mashal wrote:

> I'm so confident that this is SO NOT HAPPENING that I'll say that if
> we decide to switch from Gnome 3 to MATE I'll buy everyone here a
> Ferrari.

I think you're operating under a bit of a misconception. Yes, it's clear
GNOME 3 is going to be the chosen desktop for the workstation product.
But no-one's said anything about waving some kind of magic wand and
getting rid of all the others.

> However, once again I do think the "choose your own adventure" route
> is possible AND plausible. Other distros do it. Why can't Fedora?

Again, no-one's saying we aren't. The other desktops will still be in
the Fedora package collection. The current direction of the spins
discussion seems to indicate that spins, or at least alternative desktop
live images, are also likely to continue to exist. This list is the list
where the Workstation WG is talking about its product. It is not
deciding the future of the entire project.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey