Re: DE discussion summary

On 02/10/2014 11:09 AM, Richard Hughes wrote:
On 10 February 2014 10:02, Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I find the idea that the long and historic relationship between GNOME and
Fedora could turn around so quickly like that to be very strange
The fact we're even considering asking the question "which DE do we
want to use for workstation" is just crazy.

Why is that so crazy?

Mean why is not the workstation role a role that desktop environment can transition too chooses they do to so?

Hmm perhaps i should try to form that question differently which pehaps sheds a better light as I see it.

Now that the "Default desktop" role will be vacated with Gnome that has served that role being moved to "Workstation role" leaving any other of the DE to apply for the now vacant Default Desktop role how is that different from allowing them to transition to workstation role?

  I think we're kidding
ourselves if we want to try and answer that question honestly when the
biggest backer of the project by several orders of magnitude has
several hundred engineers working full time on GNOME and lower parts
of the stack that GNOME uses.

Irrelevant since those contribution happen upstream by our sponsor and for as long as I can remember more or less everyone part of the Gnome desktop team have *always* wanted us to move reports etc upstream so when an claim is made that we benefit *directly* from our sponsor can you clarify how that directly is being done in our downstream distribution in other words what are those Fedora specific bits by those order of magnitudes are *directly* bringing to the project.

  If I remember correctly, we have about
two employees on all of KDE, and one on XFCE. None on LXDE. None on
MATE.

Again irrelevant those community's are larger then a single or several Red Hat employees

Fedora may be a community distro, but without the backing of Red
Hat, it wouldn't be viable at all.

Arguable because we have not ( indirectly through trademark ) be allowed to seek outside sponsorship.

  When there's a Fedora release
blocker that needs a few days of developer time, who do you think
picks up the tab? I think that's probably an important thing to
understand before damaging the relationship any further on votes that
can only result in huge flame wars and a lot of wasted time.

Each "product" will have to have their own release criteria and be blocked accordingly as well as releasing on different schedule for this whole multi product proposal to work afaikt so I dont see how that's relevant.

JBG