Re: Workstation PRD approval

On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 12:52:56PM +0100, Marcel Oliver wrote:
> Matthew Garrett writes:
>  > Attached.
>
> Some comments on this proposal: From my POV what is missing is the
> academic/science/engineering workstation use:

The intent was to describe situations where a user class might have
requirements that bear no relation to the general desktop case. For the
most part the features you've described are things that are relevant to
everybody, not just people in a research-oriented environment. The
discussion of window management is an exception, but that's something
that's likely to overlap significantly with the requirements of
developers or admins.

However, when considering the needs of third-party vendors, it obviously
does make sense to examine the existing widely-deployed third-party
applications and identify their requirements before setting any kind of
baseline for a supported ABI. The scientific community probably has a
larger set of deployed third-party UNIX software than any other desktop
community, so that has to play a big part here.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx