Re: Updated Fedora Workstation PRD draft

On Fri, 29.11.13 14:43, Lukáš Tinkl (ltinkl@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> >Without GNOME you wouldn't have standardized IPC on Linux (I mean,
> >seriously fuck it, which other general purpose OS has no sane
> >standardized IPC to start with?), there wouldn't be sane device
> >management, nothing. The "base OS" people of Linux couldn't get here shit
> >together to get this infrastructure in place, so the GNOME guys had to
> >do it instead.
>
> You would have, I know this FAQ is really outdated but still, there
> was a DCOP IPC mechanism before DBUS got created and which KDE also
> adopted later on: http://dbus.freedesktop.org/doc/dbus-faq.html#dcop
>
> <quote>
> D-Bus is intentionally pretty similar to DCOP, and can be thought of
> as a "DCOP the next generation" suitable for sharing between the
> various open source desktop projects.
> </quote>

Well, there's actually major difference between DCOP and D-Bus. DCOP was
a solution that was specifically useful for making desktop apps talk to
each other. It's a domain specific solution, it was not something that
would allow communication outside of the desktop session, crossing the
privilege boundary. D-Bus OTOH actually was a general solution, real
infrastructure of the OS, that was an upgrade to the OS itself, not just
another component of an island that a desktop environment was.

You can use DCOP/D-Bus as a good example to underline the point I am
making: it's GNOME's success to have changed the infrastructure of the
whole OS to a level that somewhat standardized IPC is now available
across most of userspace.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat