Re: Power saving by default in Fedora Desktop

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:28 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > slightly off-topic to the main subject of this email, I was wondering:
>> > perhaps we should make gnome-shell automatically raise the nice and
>> > ionice
>> > values (ie. lower the priority) of unfocused windows, so that a focused
>> > window will always get priority for I/O and processor time (thus
>> > increasing
>> > the perceived performance of the system)
>>
>> No that's the kernel's job not gnome-shell's. Besides raising the nice
>> level of background processes does not gain you much if anything in
>> terms of perceived performance on todays multi core systems.
>> --
>
> The Kernel can't track which window is focused and which isn't.

No but the kernel is the one that has to allocate resources and make
sure the system resources are handled in a way to keep the system
interactive.

> nice value might not mean much on an i7

Or an old core 2 or athlon x2.

> (unless you're doing a really heavy
> multi-thread compile in the background)

This is solveable by having each application run in its own cgroup
(Colin has been working on that).

>  but ionice does, because I/O is slow
> even with threading, and even on SSDs, when we have high I/O loads the
> system needs some way to prioritize which I/O is important and which isn't.
> If I copy some heavy files to an external hard drive and keep the progress
> window focused, I probably want it to be done ASAP. On the other hand, if I
> hide that window and continue to do other stuff, it probably means that the
> file transfer is less important now (hence unfocused).

That's a heuristic that might be true or not depending on what you are
doing. You might simply swich away from the window
because it takes a while not because you want it to be done slower.

Anyway we had a similar discussion a while ago on IRC (can't recall
whether you participated or not) but if you want to do something like
this show me numbers.

The compositor should not be in charge of doing the kernel schedulers
job. What makes sense is to throttle drawing of background windows
(window != application btw.) and we do that already.