Re: Power saving by default in Fedora Desktop

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM, drago01 <drago01@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Elad Alfassa <elad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> slightly off-topic to the main subject of this email, I was wondering:
> perhaps we should make gnome-shell automatically raise the nice and ionice
> values (ie. lower the priority) of unfocused windows, so that a focused
> window will always get priority for I/O and processor time (thus increasing
> the perceived performance of the system)

No that's the kernel's job not gnome-shell's. Besides raising the nice
level of background processes does not gain you much if anything in
terms of perceived performance on todays multi core systems.
The Kernel can't track which window is focused and which isn't.

nice value might not mean much on an i7 (unless you're doing a really heavy multi-thread compile in the background) but ionice does, because I/O is slow even with threading, and even on SSDs, when we have high I/O loads the system needs some way to prioritize which I/O is important and which isn't. If I copy some heavy files to an external hard drive and keep the progress window focused, I probably want it to be done ASAP. On the other hand, if I hide that window and continue to do other stuff, it probably means that the file transfer is less important now (hence unfocused).

--
-Elad Alfassa.