Re: Fedora Logo on the login screen

Hi,

> Like I said, I think there are areas where we need to look at things
> from a Fedora-as-a-whole perspective and say, well, look, is the
> distro covered here? Not just 'does it work on our default desktop'
> but does it work on a distro-wide level?
I thinks it's far more important to focus our efforts on making the
desktop spin good than expending effort bringing feature parity for the
other spins. Getting the default experience good is a huge effort all
on its own and we aren't really measuring up as well as we could be if we focused more.

That's not to say we should discourage specific individuals/subgroups who have a
vested interest in other desktop environments from working on them. A spin by KDE guys
for KDE guys is fine and good thing.

I just think that the lion's share of fedora's effort should go toward making the default spin
as good as possible, since that's what we're telling our users to use.  We have a (big!)
userbase depending on the defaults we put out, and we should spend time on making it a good
experience for them. I think we have orders of magnitude more of those users than all FAS members,
for instance.

> Well, they probably wouldn't all agree on which top-to-bottom
> integrated experience they want to have ;)
No question.  Even more so since GNOME 3.0, where we have made some non-conventional UI changes.

> And actually I think there are people
> who _don't_ want that. The guys who run nine terminals in a 3x3
> square
> on fluxbox or whatever probably don't want a top-to-bottom-integrated
> experience, but they might want to configure their keyboard once in a
> while.
There are ways to configure the keyboard with one of the nine
terminals, without using gnome-control-center or using system-config-keyboard.
I certainly don't mind if a user chooses to go custom, but we have so far to go on the stock experience,
I really think we need to prioritize our efforts there (of course, others may disagree, and will work on what they want).

--Ray