Re: Fedora Logo on the login screen

On Tue 19 Mar 2013 08:34:02 AM EDT, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Tue 19 Mar 2013 07:28:27 AM EDT, Allan Day wrote:
>> A bit of background:
>>
>> The change during the 3.8 cycle was based on a couple of factors.
>> First, the logo interfered with the layout of the login screen: it's a
>> prominent visual presence that creates another anchor point which
>> conflicts with the other elements on the screen (ie. it is
>> horizontally centered, which clashes with the anchor points in the
>> user list). Second, the logo was felt to be a distracting presence.
>> We've made an effort to make sure that the most important elements are
>> the most visually prominent, and we want the primary interaction
>> points to be the ones that jump out at you. The logo was a strong
>> visual presence placed above the user list: this drew the eye to it,
>> making it the first thing you saw, and distracted you from the parts
>> of the screen that are actually useful to the user (ie. the user
>> list). Third and finally, having the logo in its previous position
>> limited the size to which the user list could grow when there are a
>> large number of users.
>>
>> My preference is to focus the user interface on providing the best
>> user experience possible. That means prioritising the things that
>> people need to use, reducing distraction and making the UI look great.
>> The addition of a logo diminishes the user experience along each of
>> these dimensions.
>>
>> The proposal to replace the logo with a simple string in the top-left
>> hand corner is intended to mitigate the negative impact of including a
>> logo while retaining a visual reference to the distributor. However,
>> the usability issue that Ryan brought up is a valid concern about this
>> proposal.
>>
>> It has been suggested that not including the logo somehow weakens
>> distributions' ability to brand their products. My view is that this
>> is not the case. Branding is not the practice of slapping logos onto
>> products. Instead, it is the attempt to instill and promote positive
>> associations with the brand. The best way to do that, in my opinion,
>> is to make the user experience as good as it can possibly be. If you
>> diminish the user experience through the addition of a logo, then you
>> actually harm the brand: you make the product worse, and in the
>> process you make it less likely that people will think good things
>> about your brand.
>
> I suppose we are at a complete impasse then; to me it is completely
> unacceptable to completely debrand the operating system. You do realize
> there are usability implications with that - namely, people don't even
> know what they are running in order to obtain help with it or even
> identify the type of system they are using.
>
> You have basically posed here that there is no way you will accept a
> logo on the login screen. How is a compromise possible then?

http://macservicesact.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/New-Mac-OS-X-Lion-Login-Screen.jpg

I've never seen this screen before, and I am dismayingly stricken by
the similarly except for the fact that Apple has given their logo an
approximately 50 x 50 px presence centered above the user login dialog.

~m