Re: customization of themes and colors in gnome 3 desktop in Fedora 15

 On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:17:09 +0200, bookwar wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I would like to raise up the question of possibilities user have to
> customize the look and feel of his desktop. And let us limit our
> consideration to Fedora 15 release only. I don't have enough
> information to speak about future plans and their realization yet.
>
> 1) Why this is important:
>
> After one week of testing gnome-shell and Gnome3 by community i've
> made a list of things people complain most in Gnome3 (Fortunately
> this
> list contains only cosmetic issues. Many thanks to gnome developers
> for that.)
>
> The list is:
>
> - window titlebar size
>  Window titles of the same color as a window background, without much
> meaning since they have only one button, make almost everyone think
> about wasting vertical space. This very expensive vertical space
> which
> is already taken by "top bar".

  The greatest shame about the GNOME Shell is that it's meant to be an
 improvement over previous UIs, and do things in a better way.
 Unfortunately, the stance of the developers is going to put a lot of
 people off, especially with the horrendously oversized window titlebar
 size.

  It's the first thing I noticed and complained about when I used GNOME
 Shell for the first time. Screens are getting wider, they're not getting
 taller. Vertical space *should be used as sparingly as possible*.

  There are a number of designers porting 3rd party GNOME themes,
 whether these are officially supported or not, and people will install
 them. Not providing tools by default, or making the process overly
 complex will just mean people risk more breaking their desktops, to get
 a desktop that they're happy looking at.

  Does it really need to be that hard?

  Users will say no, and vote with their feet, to another distribution.

  Dagan