Re: sudo by default?

On Tue, 04.05.10 16:56, William Jon McCann (william.jon.mccann@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Hey,
>
> So what is our view of setting up sudo by default for standalone
> systems?  Probably has some relationship with the systems on which we
> prevent root logins.
>
> It is worth noting that many of us have to set up ourselves each time
> we install Fedora.  Might be nice if something like it was done by
> default.

I am all for it. Would be nice if we could give the wheel group a useful
meaning by default.

IIRC there was a discussion on fedora-devel a year ago or so, where some
people shot this down however.

> Is sudo the right answer or should we be thinking about pkexec?  Thoughts?

David, is PK able to forget stored permissions after a time? i.e. with
sudo you have to reenter your password only every 10min or so. If you
use sudo within 10min it will authenticate you right-away. I like that
feature a lot, and would love something similar in PK.

sudo caches the authentication per-tty. i.e. if you have two xterms on
your screen and type your password into sudo once, it will remember the
password on that one xterm for the next 10min, but for the other xterm
you have to authenicate seperately. How does PK handle this? Is
authentication bound to the X display? Or the session?

I am still missing something like "pkexec -s", similar to "sudo
-s". Would be good to have that, before advertising pkexec use to users
more strongly.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net