Re: Defining the target audience (Was Re: low-hanging fruit)

When discussing the idea of a target audience, I find Firefox to be a valuable example.

What is the target audience of Firefox? Originally (I assume), the early Firefox developers were just sick of the old Mozilla browser and wanted something "better." What they ended up with turned out to be better for experienced web-developers, and first-time web users.

Sometimes, better is just better. Someone said in the IRC meeting the other day (paraphrasing) that there is enough that obviously needs improvement before we start prioritizing for different audiences.

If you're a kernel developer, a graphic designer, or a hotmail-user with their first Dell, you still want your computer to boot up quickly, for your iPod to work, and for things to look and feel solid and polished.

Cheers,
Steven Garrity